Yeah, I'm going to say it, some white Americans have decided to hijack the definition of racism and wants to attempt to use it to disprove their bias. Meanwhile, many of them will still commit subliminal actions such as not living in a "mixed" neighborhood, not allow their kids date "outside their race", and so on. However, when somebody makes a statement like "I have black friends" or "my **** is black" although they did or said something that can be interpreted as racially bias or insensitive makes me just shake my head and roll my eyes.
Being black and an Alabamian, I've probably dealt with the ugly underbelly of America with issues with the social concept known as "race". Just look at Birmingham, it's a city that is a poster-child of what happens with whites doesn't want to live near blacks, but justify their bias because of the "crime" and "corruption". Now,I'm not giving black people a pass because anyone dumb enough to elect somebody that instigate racial issues like Larry Langford as mayor then you are just as guilty as some whites.
American black and working-class white populous are both victims of what happens when you have an elite set in this nation that hijacks everything but realizes they only can keep things as status quo is "divide and conquer". Many working-class whites (those guilty of running from Birmingham as soon as interpretation occurred) because 1) they were taught by their parents that blacks aren't as "civilize" as them and 2) ignorance due to lack of social interaction in intimate settings such as being next-door neighbors, attending the same school, or the same church. In general, Alabama is a poster-child for this situation. All one has to do is read Alabama in the Twentieth Century by Auburn University professor, Wayne Flynt, and know this to be true.
Well, after reading these two articles on the usage and definition of the word racist and working-class whites from The Root, I believe some people needs to come to grips about their racial bias and realize that it is about the something much bigger at work.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (162)
- Atlanta mayoral race have turned out to be no diff...
- Obviously she's not that bright or just too damn c...
- An interesting visual description of Blue Dogs
- Birmingham is making waves globally with 2 new gre...
- Now this is funny, 2 stores are coming to the Summ...
- Jeffco Commissioners Smoot and Humphryes harping a...
- Well Chuck Norris endorses Roy Moore
- WPGC in DC is now known as "95-5 PGC"
- Well, It looks like there will be 3 incumbents are...
- Edward "Ted" Kennedy dies at 77 (1932-2009)
- 8 Years to the Day since Aaliyah Dana Haughton has...
- As much as enjoy watching 'The Real Housewives of ...
- Maxine Waters delivers the Truth and thensome
- Jefferson County Commission is broke and going to ...
- Christian Coalition Gubernatorial Forum was last n...
- Chains that need to be boycotted because they left...
- Ron Sparks makes a political gamble on legalized g...
- Well, at least he's getting a new venue
- The interesting and funny exchange between Lou Dob...
- Alabama has made some progress, but much more to g...
- New Poll confirms that there is more support for a...
- A fool decides to stay in the race after lying
- Ghosts from the past still haunting Birmingham
- Uh, when did the definition of racism go up for di...
- Uh ok...Birmingham Mayor Langford cannot afford an...
- Now Mini Cooper AKA "Mini Coop" ought be exposed f...
- Textbook reason why Birmingham is screwed up
- Well, here I go
- ▼ August (29)