Well, its safe to say Valerie Abbott, Maxine Parker, and Steven Hoyt are here to stay. I don't really have much of an opinion about these three because Hoyt and Parker are screwface worthy because of their past involvement in blocking the anti-discrimination ordinance back in 2007. Whereas Valerie Abbott wasted everybody time back in 2007 trying to run for mayor when she knew good and well she didn't stand a chance in hell of getting elected which IMHO costed Patrick Cooper, who I rathered seen elected as mayor (even over Smitherman), to lose a number of votes against Larry Langford. She is OK, but she still gets the screwface and side-eye regardless.
Now on to the run-offs, well Shelia Tyson has gave Carole Smitherman, current City Council President and Mayor Pro-Tem, a run for her money in the District 6 race. Shelia Tyson is Patrick Cooper's former mayoral campaign manager, and City Neighborhood Association (CNA) president along with Neighborhood President of West End. Interesting to say the least because Smitherman want to get back in so she can take the helm of mayor (when not if) Larry Langford is forced out of office for his federal conviction. If she doesn't get reelected then it is likely Valarie Abbott will become Council President and mayor down the line (for the 45 days until a special election is held). I'm like this is going to be INTERESTING because Smitherman seems to have a problem these days because she is a nice person (I've met her), but she doesn't really have much of what I call "leadership traits". She better come to realization that this could be the end of her time on the City Council because it was 43% (Smitherman) to 39% (Tyson), and that's mighty close.
The rest well, it is a given that Roderick Royal's whiny butt will get back in District 9, Carol Reynolds Duncan will likely lose to Kim Raffety in District 2, Johnathan Austin will have to battle former councilman Elias Hendricks in District 5, and Jay Robertson will battle his runner up in the election of District 7 replacing the late Miriam Witherspoon.
LaShunda Scales was the only outright newcomer to win her election in District 1 against incumbent Joel Montgomery. I guess his alcoholic fall from grace in 2007 costed him his seat along with being in the pocket of Mayor Langford on the city bingo ordinance. The people have spoken and apparently nobody is stutting the New Jefferson County Citizens Coalition or Mayor Langford's endorsements. LOL
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (162)
- Atlanta mayoral race have turned out to be no diff...
- Obviously she's not that bright or just too damn c...
- An interesting visual description of Blue Dogs
- Birmingham is making waves globally with 2 new gre...
- Now this is funny, 2 stores are coming to the Summ...
- Jeffco Commissioners Smoot and Humphryes harping a...
- Well Chuck Norris endorses Roy Moore
- WPGC in DC is now known as "95-5 PGC"
- Well, It looks like there will be 3 incumbents are...
- Edward "Ted" Kennedy dies at 77 (1932-2009)
- 8 Years to the Day since Aaliyah Dana Haughton has...
- As much as enjoy watching 'The Real Housewives of ...
- Maxine Waters delivers the Truth and thensome
- Jefferson County Commission is broke and going to ...
- Christian Coalition Gubernatorial Forum was last n...
- Chains that need to be boycotted because they left...
- Ron Sparks makes a political gamble on legalized g...
- Well, at least he's getting a new venue
- The interesting and funny exchange between Lou Dob...
- Alabama has made some progress, but much more to g...
- New Poll confirms that there is more support for a...
- A fool decides to stay in the race after lying
- Ghosts from the past still haunting Birmingham
- Uh, when did the definition of racism go up for di...
- Uh ok...Birmingham Mayor Langford cannot afford an...
- Now Mini Cooper AKA "Mini Coop" ought be exposed f...
- Textbook reason why Birmingham is screwed up
- Well, here I go
- ▼ August (29)