Well, I'm kind of surprised by this because it seemed to me that the Jefferson County Commissioners didn't seem to care because they were still getting their bi-monthly paycheck. Well, Shelia Smoot and Bobby Humphryes are inquiring why isn't a back-up plan for the County after the Alabama Supreme Court repealed the 1999 version of the occupational tax. The attorneys on the behalf of the taxpayers (yeah right) have said they are working on a plan to repay the funds for the tax to the taxpayers. PROBLEM: there isn't any money left because the County is running in the red and has been for awhile now. Jefferson County Commission President Bettye Fine Collins said yesterday that they barely have the funds to operate the Courthouses (in Birmingham and Bessemer) as it is until the end of the fiscal year in September.
Now Smoot is screaming there is not Plan B:
"We want an action plan," Commissioner Shelia Smoot told county officials during today's meeting. "What I want is a road map. None of us has seen that. We want something, specifics, even if it's not going to work. I feel alienated."
Meanwhile Humphryes is requesting getting the 1,000 county workers back to work from furloughs. All the while, Collins is saying the attorneys are the County's only hope. Looks like they are up Shit Creek without a paddle. ***shrugs***
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (162)
- Atlanta mayoral race have turned out to be no diff...
- Obviously she's not that bright or just too damn c...
- An interesting visual description of Blue Dogs
- Birmingham is making waves globally with 2 new gre...
- Now this is funny, 2 stores are coming to the Summ...
- Jeffco Commissioners Smoot and Humphryes harping a...
- Well Chuck Norris endorses Roy Moore
- WPGC in DC is now known as "95-5 PGC"
- Well, It looks like there will be 3 incumbents are...
- Edward "Ted" Kennedy dies at 77 (1932-2009)
- 8 Years to the Day since Aaliyah Dana Haughton has...
- As much as enjoy watching 'The Real Housewives of ...
- Maxine Waters delivers the Truth and thensome
- Jefferson County Commission is broke and going to ...
- Christian Coalition Gubernatorial Forum was last n...
- Chains that need to be boycotted because they left...
- Ron Sparks makes a political gamble on legalized g...
- Well, at least he's getting a new venue
- The interesting and funny exchange between Lou Dob...
- Alabama has made some progress, but much more to g...
- New Poll confirms that there is more support for a...
- A fool decides to stay in the race after lying
- Ghosts from the past still haunting Birmingham
- Uh, when did the definition of racism go up for di...
- Uh ok...Birmingham Mayor Langford cannot afford an...
- Now Mini Cooper AKA "Mini Coop" ought be exposed f...
- Textbook reason why Birmingham is screwed up
- Well, here I go
- ▼ August (29)