Oh boy, the wannabe bourgeois of Metro Atlanta on TV has made a mockery of themselves for sure. For one, they aren't real housewives because Nene Leakes is the only one that is "housewive" persay to the standards of the show. However, Lisa Wu-Hartwell is a wive as well, but she is wife that works more outside the home than at home. The rest of the crew Sheree Whitfield, Kandice "Kandi" Burress (formerly of Xscape), and Kim Zolciak aren't wives at all. Sheree is a divorcee of Bob Whitfield, formerly of the Atlanta Falcons, so gets a pass since the other Housewives have divorcees on it. However, Kim is a jumpoff to Lee Najar, a wealth Atlanta area real estate tycoon. I don't even know why Kandi is on there because she could have just got with BET and her friend and former fellow band-mate of Xscape, Tiny, on that show.
The Root tells it like it is with their article "Bravo's Southern Discomfort" about how Bravo allowed the behavior that airs show how ignorant some black folks can be. Then Andy Cohen, Bravo's executive and show producer, has the audacity to say it "offers up a rarely seen look into the lives of "really wealthy black women." Typical of a white gay man that lives vicariously throught drama while laughing to the bank getting rich off it. No other Housewives show has a much lack of wealth because 3 of them on the show have either been forced out of their home or foreclosed upon while on there in its two seasons. Black folks already have it hard in the media because anything associated with the black image is either negative or inadequate via "ghetto" or "poverty", but then you have hoodrat-behavior when they suppose to be wealthy.
The article's editor, Helena Andrews, said it best when comparing The Real Housewives of Atlanta to the part in the Ralph Emerson novel, The Invisible Man, where the main character had to do a speech before a group of white civics about the advancement of people of color but is told that he must first participate in a "battle royal" boxing match with a group of nine other black boys to take away from the dignity of the speech. Housewives of Atlanta does exactly that, takes away the diginity of the black upper-class.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (162)
- Atlanta mayoral race have turned out to be no diff...
- Obviously she's not that bright or just too damn c...
- An interesting visual description of Blue Dogs
- Birmingham is making waves globally with 2 new gre...
- Now this is funny, 2 stores are coming to the Summ...
- Jeffco Commissioners Smoot and Humphryes harping a...
- Well Chuck Norris endorses Roy Moore
- WPGC in DC is now known as "95-5 PGC"
- Well, It looks like there will be 3 incumbents are...
- Edward "Ted" Kennedy dies at 77 (1932-2009)
- 8 Years to the Day since Aaliyah Dana Haughton has...
- As much as enjoy watching 'The Real Housewives of ...
- Maxine Waters delivers the Truth and thensome
- Jefferson County Commission is broke and going to ...
- Christian Coalition Gubernatorial Forum was last n...
- Chains that need to be boycotted because they left...
- Ron Sparks makes a political gamble on legalized g...
- Well, at least he's getting a new venue
- The interesting and funny exchange between Lou Dob...
- Alabama has made some progress, but much more to g...
- New Poll confirms that there is more support for a...
- A fool decides to stay in the race after lying
- Ghosts from the past still haunting Birmingham
- Uh, when did the definition of racism go up for di...
- Uh ok...Birmingham Mayor Langford cannot afford an...
- Now Mini Cooper AKA "Mini Coop" ought be exposed f...
- Textbook reason why Birmingham is screwed up
- Well, here I go
- ▼ August (29)