Denny's (but then yet I don't care about them because they like to discriminate against blacks or any minority group anyways)
However, my rant is why on earth did these 3 chains all over asudden vacate Birmingham in the 1990's. Dunkin Donuts used to have about 5 stores in Greater Birmingham back in the early to mid 1990's. I remember the locations in Homewood on Oxmoor Road and the other on in Eastwood where the current Olive Garden Italian Restaurant is located at Crestwood and Oport-Madrid boulevards. Then there is Baskin' Robbins suddenly leaving Alabama in 2000 when there used to be one in almost every decent-sized town or city across North Alabama. I remember going to their ice cream stores amongst every birthday asking my parents for either an ice cream cake or a large order of my favorite type of ice cream in a large container to go for multiple servings of enjoyment. However, I remember hearing that the last Baskin' Robbins was still open in 5 Points West as late 2002 before finally closing.
Ironically, both chains announced in 2007 that they were going to re-enter Alabama and open stores around Birmingham. Keyword: "around" rather than in Birmingham. I hate when chains do this crap because most of them don't care to do the proper research to open locations in key areas around Birmingham itself like Eastwood/Crestwood area, Roebuck/Huffman, or even the City Center (Downtown and Southside). These areas do have a significant population of middle-income households that can support these stores; instead, most want to run to Hoover, Northern Shelby County, Trussville, Gardendale, etc. These types of businesses irk me more than the current leadership in the region because they don't try to invest back into the city where people are moving to (contrary to popular opinion on al.com).
Anyways, rant over.
According to the Birmingham News, Baskin-Robbins wants to open 35 locations in the Birmingham. However, they will all be franchises after reading in between the lines. So that means it can take forever for them to get their act together. I'll believe it when I see it...
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (162)
- Atlanta mayoral race have turned out to be no diff...
- Obviously she's not that bright or just too damn c...
- An interesting visual description of Blue Dogs
- Birmingham is making waves globally with 2 new gre...
- Now this is funny, 2 stores are coming to the Summ...
- Jeffco Commissioners Smoot and Humphryes harping a...
- Well Chuck Norris endorses Roy Moore
- WPGC in DC is now known as "95-5 PGC"
- Well, It looks like there will be 3 incumbents are...
- Edward "Ted" Kennedy dies at 77 (1932-2009)
- 8 Years to the Day since Aaliyah Dana Haughton has...
- As much as enjoy watching 'The Real Housewives of ...
- Maxine Waters delivers the Truth and thensome
- Jefferson County Commission is broke and going to ...
- Christian Coalition Gubernatorial Forum was last n...
- Chains that need to be boycotted because they left...
- Ron Sparks makes a political gamble on legalized g...
- Well, at least he's getting a new venue
- The interesting and funny exchange between Lou Dob...
- Alabama has made some progress, but much more to g...
- New Poll confirms that there is more support for a...
- A fool decides to stay in the race after lying
- Ghosts from the past still haunting Birmingham
- Uh, when did the definition of racism go up for di...
- Uh ok...Birmingham Mayor Langford cannot afford an...
- Now Mini Cooper AKA "Mini Coop" ought be exposed f...
- Textbook reason why Birmingham is screwed up
- Well, here I go
- ▼ August (29)