Wednesday, February 24, 2010

So what is really going on?

Although I don't do New York politics on this blog for a number of reasons, I found this comment on my fellow blogger, V, on his blog Maybe It's Just Me by well-known homophobic New York State Senator Ruben Diaz quite interesting:

“The Governor went out on a limb for the gay community in his efforts to
support marriage equality and to bring that bill to the Senate floor, even
though he knew it did not have sufficient votes to pass and that thousands
of people in New York State did not want it and will not support him for
election because of that issue,” remarked Senator Díaz. “Where is the gay
community now that the Governor needs them?” Senator Díaz wondered.
Likewise, Governor Paterson suffered one of his biggest setbacks and
received a ton of criticism when he bypassed Caroline Kennedy and chose
Kirsten Gillibrand instead for the United States Senate. “For that
Governor Paterson has paid dearly and gained a lot of negative ink.
Governor David Paterson must be wondering ‘I was there when they needed me,
where are my friends now that I need them? 
“I remember back on Sunday May 17, 2009, I organized a demonstration of
tens of thousands people in front of Governor David Paterson’s Manhattan
office to protest his staunch support for gay marriage and the Governor
stood by the gay community and didn’t waver.
“I am not endorsing Governor Paterson but I admire his commitment to those
whom he believes are his friends. My father used to say in Puerto Rico ‘My
friends are my friends with their virtues and flaws."
Well, Diaz isn't lying since NY Governor David Patterson is suffering some major blows to his popularity and political capital amongst a huge segment of constituency.  Patterson went out on a limb and put up Kirsten Gillibrand for U.S. Senate seat formerly held by Hilliary Clinton and the same-sex unionship bill before the State Assembly then it failed epically.  Diaz might be a homophobe out of this world, but he hit the nail on the head because the LGBTs in NYC have all but abandoned the man that put his ass out on the limb for them.  I say that is the reason why any black politico with any common sense doesn't bend over backwards for LGBT activists and bloggers because see that is exactly what happens.  If you are going to do something make sure it with a pluralistic support beyond them because most of them just like other identity voters, have the attention span of a gnat.  Yet some bloggers Rod McCullom, Pam Spaulding, etc. want to know why some black politicos are either hesitant or only pushes legislation when somebody else does it.  This is the textbook reason why...

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking the same thing. With the Harold Ford stuff and now Gov. Paterson not seeking reelection, I wonder what this will really do to the LGBT community

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Blog Archive