I know that those "Southern cities in denial" are both getting hit hard this week by a major snowstorm that has up to 2 feet of snow on the ground in both cities and their shared metropolitan region. However, the true test to me if a city is considered non-Southern or not is how they react to such an event. DC failed epicly with their residents all racing to the supermarkets and retailers that sold bread, milk, and other snowstorm foods. Instead, Baltimore did show it is more Northern than Southern since their residents were quite passe' about the snow, but the city did shutdown which is another sign of "Southern-ness" of their city. Interesting, both cities mass transit systems are still operating, but the majority of DC Metrorail is underground. Baltimore on the other hand is a hybrid of both subway and light rail, but they are still operating as well.
Regardless, both cities are Southern and they can deny it until hell freezes over, but NYC, Philadelphia, etc. haven't nor doesn't shut down for anything. Hence why they are considered Northeastern cities whereas DC and Baltimore are just pretending to be that, but they know what they really are...
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- Birmingham is $77M in deficit...
- As I said back in November, the first punch has be...
- So what is really going on?
- Wait a minute! Did the jackal admit Birmingham ca...
- Both Birmingham and Atlanta lost out on their T.I....
- A little reality check...
- Oh, the Democratic Two-Step and a little info for ...
- As I expected...black women said, "No, thanks John...
- Birmingham is held in contempt of court?
- YAWN! Are we still at this
- A poll by the Washington Post says....
- John Mayer is stupid as hell, but at least he was ...
- Tricky Dicky's power stunt might cost Republicans ...
- New Orleans elects it first white mayor in a gener...
- Poor DC and Baltimore!
- Superbowl and why I envy those in South Florida ri...
- TEA Party Convention in Nashville????
- RANT: I call it like I see it!
- ▼ February (19)