Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Who in the hell still steals copper?
Copper is practically worthless these days after the market drop in late 2007 (because let's be honest take into account the price of gas to travel to where it is and a place to sale it then it is worthless). Meanwhile, the late thieves in Alabama (where it seems 90% of everything is way behind the curve) are still attempting to steal copper to make a quick buck. This morning in downtown Birmingham, where the city's Christmas tree was standing in Linn Park was burned down by a couple of these late copper stealing morons.
According to the Birmingham News, the thieves attempted to melt the plastic from the copper to extract the metal to sale by dousing the tree in gasoline and set a small fire. The idiots also set the tree on fire and burned the majority of the tree lower portion resulting in being taken to the city recycling center to be made into mulch.
It's a damn shame after Birmingham has already suffered through another election of another member of the status quo group, continued plunging of city population, the ongoing battle to handle a deficit, and now this. Birmingham really needs a break...SIGH!
UPDATE: The local urban adult contemporary radio station WBHK, "98.7 Kiss FM" has decided to step in and help replace the city's tree. They had the tree delivered to Linn Park around 3PM this afternoon, and other surrounding cities are offering up extra ornaments that have storage to the city of Birmingham to decorate the new tree. There is a tree lighting ceremony planned for 9AM Thursday morning.
However, on a personal note, it still doesn't change my feelings about the boring ass Kiss FM. Birmingham should have a station more like V-103 in Atlanta as its leader and community-oriented urban station.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg, Charlotte Mecklenburg, we h...
- Teena Marie 1956-2010
- Bama Fact Check looked into the new payroll deduct...
- On a holiday note...
- Well, well, well, somebody made it big in urban mu...
- Interesting things that have occurred with Virgini...
- The Special Session in Alabama Legislature is over...
- Don't Ask Don't Tell is done
- Another party switcher in Texas
- The Inmate Strike in Georgia Prisons
- Who in the hell still steals copper?
- Tom Cuccinelli is at it again, but this time causi...
- Oh how cute, another opportunist but this one is b...
- Somethings that are occuring in the Alabama Legisl...
- Now what exactly is this going to prove?
- So Kasim Reed apologizes to the Atlanta LGBTs for ...
- And what exactly suppose to be said about the 'com...
- A tragic ending for somebody whom earned my respec...
- Eddie Long attempts to silence his accusers with m...
- Well, there is some truth to this, but a lot more ...
- Oh Beauregard! You are a bigot after all...
- So if the T.E.A. Party had their way then nobody t...
- ▼ December (22)