Friday, December 24, 2010
Well, well, well, somebody made it big in urban music out of Pittsburgh
Well, if you know my blog track history then you would know I am an avid urban music fan. Well, fellow blogger, Urban Radio Nation, did a story talking about how up-an-coming rapper, Wiz Khalifa, making it big in urban radio without a local station being in Pittsburgh. The blog covers the history and closure of long time "heritage" urban station, WAMO, after nearly 5 decades of being on air in Pittsburgh. Now it's a Catholic radio station airing religious services and programs. The closest station to the urban format is Clear Channel-owned top 40, WKST, which plays it because of its charting status on the Billboard Top 100. However, that station is just paying lip-service to the hip-hop song because its hits status, not because it is local per say.
However, Wiz Khalif has made it so big that he is getting spins with his hit, "Black and Yellow", which is based on the colors of the cities sports teams, like the Pittsburgh Pirates, major-league baseball team. The single is now on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Song chart. It celebrates the "Steel City" and its pride for hometown sport teams. I personally love the song and play it while in the gym working out because the up-tempo beat.
It's just a damn shame that a city as large as Pittsburgh and with a 27% black in the city (about 10% metropolitan area), it doesn't even have an urban radio station serving its community. Another time and depressing day for listeners of urban radio that want to see stations represent their hometown artists, whom are good and give their city some spotlight, has to use alternative ways of obtaining success.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg, Charlotte Mecklenburg, we h...
- Teena Marie 1956-2010
- Bama Fact Check looked into the new payroll deduct...
- On a holiday note...
- Well, well, well, somebody made it big in urban mu...
- Interesting things that have occurred with Virgini...
- The Special Session in Alabama Legislature is over...
- Don't Ask Don't Tell is done
- Another party switcher in Texas
- The Inmate Strike in Georgia Prisons
- Who in the hell still steals copper?
- Tom Cuccinelli is at it again, but this time causi...
- Oh how cute, another opportunist but this one is b...
- Somethings that are occuring in the Alabama Legisl...
- Now what exactly is this going to prove?
- So Kasim Reed apologizes to the Atlanta LGBTs for ...
- And what exactly suppose to be said about the 'com...
- A tragic ending for somebody whom earned my respec...
- Eddie Long attempts to silence his accusers with m...
- Well, there is some truth to this, but a lot more ...
- Oh Beauregard! You are a bigot after all...
- So if the T.E.A. Party had their way then nobody t...
- ▼ December (22)