Here are the things that came out of this special session:
All the proposed legislative ethics bills were passed, but none in their original forms. The climax of the special session was the AEA-administered coup by the House Democrats against SB-2 which was the bill restrict direct deductions from workers' payroll to support political activities. It led to a 14-hour filibuster in the Alabama House where the Democrats were blocking cloture, but on the bill in its original form. However, in the end it passed with a narrow 52-49 majority around 3AM Thursday morning. Some Democrats are upset like some of my buddies over at Left in Alabama with parallel arguments about the GOP and their funding of local chambers of commerce. I'm not denying the argument is not legitimate. On the other hand, I personally think it is a good thing because AEA has to be stripped of power because they are a political liability to Alabama progressive politics. After the AEA insured the election of 2 of the most dubious gubernatorial candidates in modern Alabama history, I deserved to be pushed into inert category. It also gives some teachers a choice if they want a portions of their earnings to go to a political organization or not...
Gardendale Republican state senator, Scott Beason, has proven to his constituents what his critics have been saying forever. He is an optimist and lacks any ethics himself. He wants to be wine and dined like some cheap whore for favors from lobbyists, but the House Democrats weren't having that. However, I knew this when that jackal, Beason, attempted to pass a bill that would have prohibit any articles of literature from public libraries, schools, and universities containing references to homosexuality.
In all the special session was pretty fruitful productive.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg, Charlotte Mecklenburg, we h...
- Teena Marie 1956-2010
- Bama Fact Check looked into the new payroll deduct...
- On a holiday note...
- Well, well, well, somebody made it big in urban mu...
- Interesting things that have occurred with Virgini...
- The Special Session in Alabama Legislature is over...
- Don't Ask Don't Tell is done
- Another party switcher in Texas
- The Inmate Strike in Georgia Prisons
- Who in the hell still steals copper?
- Tom Cuccinelli is at it again, but this time causi...
- Oh how cute, another opportunist but this one is b...
- Somethings that are occuring in the Alabama Legisl...
- Now what exactly is this going to prove?
- So Kasim Reed apologizes to the Atlanta LGBTs for ...
- And what exactly suppose to be said about the 'com...
- A tragic ending for somebody whom earned my respec...
- Eddie Long attempts to silence his accusers with m...
- Well, there is some truth to this, but a lot more ...
- Oh Beauregard! You are a bigot after all...
- So if the T.E.A. Party had their way then nobody t...
- ▼ December (22)