Friday, December 17, 2010
The Inmate Strike in Georgia Prisons
Something that has been largely ignored by the mainstream media outlets including the majority of the ones in Georgia itself. This is the inmates in prisons across the state of Georgia have been striking over the lack of humane conditions in the state and county prisons. According to the Black Agenda Report, the prisons are only leaving their cells for hot showers and food, but refusing to participant in their involuntary and uncompensated work assignments. Their demands includes demanding wages for their labor, educational opportunities, adequate health care and nutrition, and better conditions. They have the support of the Georgia chapter of the NAACP, the Nation of Islam, the National Association for Radical Prison Reform, the Green Party of Georgia, the Ordinary Peoples Society, and the Concerned Coalition to Protect Prisoner Rights, which is a coalition comprised of civil rights attorneys, ministers, community organizations and other prisoner advocates.
This is understandable considering according to the 2005 report conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, blacks makes up 39.8% of the prison population. That's more than 1 in 3 blacks are or have been incarcerated Something that obviously affects most black Americans since most of us either know or are related to somebody that has or is prison. Hopefully, this will end peacefully and the inmates will get their grievances fulfilled and have humane standards in the Georgia Department of Corrections systems.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg, Charlotte Mecklenburg, we h...
- Teena Marie 1956-2010
- Bama Fact Check looked into the new payroll deduct...
- On a holiday note...
- Well, well, well, somebody made it big in urban mu...
- Interesting things that have occurred with Virgini...
- The Special Session in Alabama Legislature is over...
- Don't Ask Don't Tell is done
- Another party switcher in Texas
- The Inmate Strike in Georgia Prisons
- Who in the hell still steals copper?
- Tom Cuccinelli is at it again, but this time causi...
- Oh how cute, another opportunist but this one is b...
- Somethings that are occuring in the Alabama Legisl...
- Now what exactly is this going to prove?
- So Kasim Reed apologizes to the Atlanta LGBTs for ...
- And what exactly suppose to be said about the 'com...
- A tragic ending for somebody whom earned my respec...
- Eddie Long attempts to silence his accusers with m...
- Well, there is some truth to this, but a lot more ...
- Oh Beauregard! You are a bigot after all...
- So if the T.E.A. Party had their way then nobody t...
- ▼ December (22)