In the Readers' Digest ranking where they looking at the quality of roads and the most deadliest states for DUI, speeding tabulated from the Federal Transportation Administration from 2009. According to the rankings, Alabama is the 9th deadliest state for roads in general and driving under the influence of a controlled substance and #1 for speeding. The good news is Alabama has the 28th best roads in the nation based on the quality rankings. However, our eastern neighbor, Georgia, has the 9th best roads based on the quality rankings, but is 20th deadliest state for roads overall. Other Southern states are as followed: Tennessee was #19 for best roads, #15 for deadliest roads; Mississippi was #38 for best roads, 6th for deadliest roads and DUI, and 2nd deadliest for speeding; South Carolina was #35 for best roads, 3rd deadliest roads and deadliest for speeding, and 2nd deadliest for DUI; North Carolina was #36 for best roads and 17th for deadliest roads; Florida was 20th for best roads and 14th deadliest roads; Louisiana has the nation's worst roads (#50), 2nd deadliest roads, and 3rd deadliest for DUI; Arkansas was #31 for best roads, 5th for deadliest roads and #10 for deadliest for DUI; Texas was 29th for best roads, 16th for deadliest, 8th for deadliest for DUI, and 10th for deadliest for speeding; Oklahoma was 46th for best roads and 11th deadliest; Virginia was #9 for best roads and 40th for deadliest; Finally, Kentucky was 34th for best roads and 7th for deadliest. The link for the full list is here.
However, the Southern states got mixed reviews, but the larger states were the ones with better roads than the smaller ones who seem to all rank poorly on the good rankings.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- The brazen lies and intentional omission of the ob...
- Another chapter in the ongoing saga involving Birm...
- The battle in GA amongst the Governor, State Assmb...
- But there's more!!!!
- Tragically, ACORN is done...
- Now the TRUE COLORS are coming out!
- Time for one of my random thoughts about places in...
- The battle over the title "Capital of the South"
- Road rankings and Georgia still fairs better than ...
- Why teachers' unions are the problem?
- What is wrong with Houston's METRORail?
- Oh, WOW! Step away for a week and all hell breaks...
- Hmmm.... More craziness from Virginia...
- Well, former Birmingham mayor Larry Langford was s...
- College Cost Carnage nationwide!
- Another tale of partisan idealism versus realism
- A bill to synchronize the elections of Birmingham ...
- The current electronic bingo bill failed in the Al...
- MARTA is slashing a quarter of its service
- It's official!
- The first female chair of the NAACP
- In additional DC news...
- Now what does this solve?
- Outgoing U.S. Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky...
- Well, I hope the losers are happy - 2 for the pric...
- ▼ March (25)