Alabama State House Representative Merika Coleman of Birmingham drafted a bill that would synchronize municipal council and mayoral elections in Birmingham to all on the same day. The bill passed the House committee on Monday and will go to the full Jefferson County delegation to debate the bill. However, the bill would extend the term of the jackal from 2011 to 2013 (hmmm...). It sounds like to me Coleman is allowing that jackal more time to prove how much of a jackass he is to the people rather than who potent he is to the city. The Birmingham City Council agree with me (to certain extent) and that is not giving Bell an additional 2 years in office. The election should be held next year in 2011 rather than 2013.
Also State House Rep. John Rogers of Birmingham also has drafted a bill that would realign the City Council representation from 9 districts to 8 districts and on at-large seat for the City Council President (not a bad idea). However, why don't they just go back to all at-large voting for all seats which would allow the possibility of a more progressive city council? I mean it would remove the existence of fiefdom ideology from the City Council elections where people think they can talk shit about one side of the city and its demographic of citizenry without being held accountable to all the citizens at the ballot. The more accountability, the better because Birmingham needs to force those idiots "who want to have their cake and eat it to" to be gone if they decide to run for mayor instead of going back to being a vindictive city councilor. My advice to Merika Coleman is, rewrite the bill and move the election to 2011 if you want to gain more support and likelihood of your legislation's passage.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- The brazen lies and intentional omission of the ob...
- Another chapter in the ongoing saga involving Birm...
- The battle in GA amongst the Governor, State Assmb...
- But there's more!!!!
- Tragically, ACORN is done...
- Now the TRUE COLORS are coming out!
- Time for one of my random thoughts about places in...
- The battle over the title "Capital of the South"
- Road rankings and Georgia still fairs better than ...
- Why teachers' unions are the problem?
- What is wrong with Houston's METRORail?
- Oh, WOW! Step away for a week and all hell breaks...
- Hmmm.... More craziness from Virginia...
- Well, former Birmingham mayor Larry Langford was s...
- College Cost Carnage nationwide!
- Another tale of partisan idealism versus realism
- A bill to synchronize the elections of Birmingham ...
- The current electronic bingo bill failed in the Al...
- MARTA is slashing a quarter of its service
- It's official!
- The first female chair of the NAACP
- In additional DC news...
- Now what does this solve?
- Outgoing U.S. Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky...
- Well, I hope the losers are happy - 2 for the pric...
- ▼ March (25)