Saturday, April 10, 2010
Oklahoma bill that would block local law enforcement from assistancing in a federal hate crime investigation is dead
Another thing that occurred while I was away in Atlanta was the death of the bill in the Oklahoma State Legislature that would have blocked law enforcement from assisting in the investigation of a hate crime. Oklahoma State House Representative Mike Shelton of Oklahoma City, co-chair of the House Judiciary Committee, and member of the Oklahoma Black Caucus took the State Senate bill and being the House sponsor of it and killed it. Shelton asked specifically for the committee to not hear the bill and essentially killing it. However, the bill's senatorial author socially conservative Republican Steve Russell also of Oklahoma City said if local law enforcement didn’t object to turning over the information, court approval would not be needed, Russell said. Also that the law is needed to protect free speech after the passage of a federal law that added sexual orientation or gender identity to the categories protected under the federal hate-crimes law would have prohibited Oklahoma law enforcement agencies from cooperating with any federal agency in the investigation of a federal hate crime. (Bigoted idiot... Oh well...)
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- Thoughts on the "Great Division" proposed for Fult...
- A moment to speak on Arizona...
- Republicans are aiming for Alan Grayson ...
- The EPA has been issuing grants to non-profits in ...
- Oh no! It's going to happen again!
- Another lesson for those who are overtly partisan ...
- Oh brother, Mississippi is still doing this...
- I'm loving this foolishness
- Georgia's 1st black female and youngest chief just...
- Oklahoma bill that would block local law enforceme...
- I want some people to STFU on this whole Obama Cen...
- I guess Michael Steele has finally read the memo
- My open letter to Constance McMillian
- Why Erykah Badu? Why?
- Houston's mayor issues all encompassing executive ...
- Poll: Black voters show aptness towards voting aga...
- ▼ April (17)