Well, the long and drawn out narrative of Jefferson County government and its plethora of problems have a new chapter. This time it could be a repeat of last year's shortfall during a fiscal year, but the results will be more permanent. Bettye Fine Collins told the Birmingham News that she has already asked county officials to prepare 2 sets of FY 2011 budgets. The current occupational tax that was passed into law last year during the special session is being threatened by yet another lawsuit by the same duo of greedy lawyers that brought down the original occupational tax that had been in placed since 1987.
Meanwhile, I'm more puzzled at the hysteria that a number of individuals are stirring about the county-run indigent Cooper Green Mercy Hospital. These people are acting as if the existence of the hospital and county-ran nursing home is the pillage of the county government's existence. Now personally, the county nursing home should be closed because most patients at other private nursing homes are on Medicare. On the other hand, the county-run hospital isn't any different than the indigent care facilities like Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, or the Regional Medical Center of Memphis. The fact that other non-profit facilities like UAB Hospital in Birmingham are essentially publicly funded like Cooper Green, but they will basically bankrupt uninsured individuals. Also Cooper Green at least offers a reasonable plan for the uninsured than UAB which is operates as a for-profit hospital on taxpayers expense.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- Thoughts on the "Great Division" proposed for Fult...
- A moment to speak on Arizona...
- Republicans are aiming for Alan Grayson ...
- The EPA has been issuing grants to non-profits in ...
- Oh no! It's going to happen again!
- Another lesson for those who are overtly partisan ...
- Oh brother, Mississippi is still doing this...
- I'm loving this foolishness
- Georgia's 1st black female and youngest chief just...
- Oklahoma bill that would block local law enforceme...
- I want some people to STFU on this whole Obama Cen...
- I guess Michael Steele has finally read the memo
- My open letter to Constance McMillian
- Why Erykah Badu? Why?
- Houston's mayor issues all encompassing executive ...
- Poll: Black voters show aptness towards voting aga...
- ▼ April (17)