Well, IMHO Birmingham is a victim of the "social aversion" and classism. The city used to be way better than Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, and Jacksonville along with being much larger than Raleigh, Orlando, and Tampa (all of whom have surpassed the city population and metro area size). However, there is a huge leadership void in the region because nobody wants to step up unless they have been "vetted" by the current establishment. The Richard Arringtons, Larry Langfords, and Frank Matthews don't help united the cause of the improving the city without reminding progressive whites in the city that THEY'RE NOT BLACK. How many times do we have to do this to them when many of them chose to reside in the city over the "Over-the-Mountain" communities like Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook (if they can afford it), or Hoover. Instead we have that strife that exists then you have the "powers-that-be" leadership like George Barber, Charles McCrary, and Dowd Ritter, the useless CEO of Regions Financial Corp, who doesn't do anything but talk about what "needs" to occur in Greater Birmingham.
There are traces of revitalization such as Crestwood, Redmont, Glen Iris, and Southside that have all comeback from the pits of slum-dom. Now the real question is what needs to occur to get these groups of progressive whites and progressive blacks to come together to get things moving here? This is just another post in my series of what is wrong with Birmingham series.
- Birmingham Blues
- Blog for Democracy
- Blog for Democracy
- Different Day, Same Shit
- Field Negro
- Fresh Loaf (Creative Loafing Atlanta)
- Georgia Politico
- Institute for Southern Studies
- Jack & Jill Politics
- Jasmyne Cannick
- Land Matters
- Left in Alabama
- Like the Dew
- Living Out Loud with Darian
- Maybe it's just me...
- Miss Jia
- New Possibilities
- Pam's House Blend
- Peach Pundit
- Poverty, Planning, and Politics
- Rod 2.0
- Second Front
- Shaela R
- Skeptical Brotha
- Southern Political Report
- Stuff White People Do
- The Daily Voice
- The Rude Pundit
- This Week in Blackness
- Urban Radio Nation
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (27)
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (162)
- Possible Cuts in MAX is coming, but the In-Town Tr...
- Woman is beaten in front of daughter in Morrow, Ge...
- Is there conspiracy to destroy ACORN?
- Jimmy Carter said it: "Wilson's outburst is based...
- He's been rebuked, well actually just formally adm...
- Gotta love the idiot savancy of Alabama laws
- Artur Davis - "Railroad Values"
- Artur Davis is running ads for governor
- U.S. Census bureau will count same-gender loving c...
- Kanye West and his ness
- The South and Southwest leads the nation in the nu...
- Some more things about Congressman Addison Graves ...
- BB&T and its takeover of Colonial Bank
- Attempts to rejoin SWMA fails
- OH, how ignorant!
- Interesting. there's 2 GLBT events going on this w...
- A little late, my take on the settlement of the su...
- SMH, Van Jones resigns overnight
- Honestly, what has gone wrong with Birmingham
- Gotta give it up to the Alabama Democrats in the L...
- Uh, oh! Another Republican is apparently a closet...
- ▼ September (21)